[kwlug-disc] mythTV - not paying attention?

Insurance Squared Inc. gcooke at insurancesquared.com
Fri Oct 2 10:15:41 EDT 2009

There's been a lot of myth TV on the list lately....that I've been
ignoring since I don't have any interest.  Until yesterday :).

I'm going to put a tv and system into our home gym.  I want to install
something that will do:
- cable
- dvd
- internet (i.e. download and play videos (legal ones :), I've signed up
for some exercise sites that sell videos online).  As an aside, if
there's any cyclists out there, check out racedayrush.com - free cycling
videos.
- and maybe, some sort of internet radio.  Because it'd be nice to watch
the videos but with sound coming from an internet radio station or a
playlist of some kind.
- and maybe satellite in addition to cable.  Not a dealbreaker though.
- and a remote of some kind that we can use to control from the
treadmill or bike.

I had a brief look at some sites last night but there's a lot going on.
Any experts want to provide a summary as to:
- hardware; build my own or by off the shelf? If so, what should I buy?
- software; looks like a lot available distros (except my preferred
Mandriva distro).  I'd bet I can just burn an ISO - but what distro
should I use.  The myth tv site had dozens.

Thanks!

g.