[kwlug-disc] BD net-capable players?

Thu Nov 26 14:24:42 EST 2009

On November 26, 2009 01:39:06 pm Adam Glauser wrote:
> My main concern with any sort of black-box media centre would be codec
> and file format support.  One of the neat things that XBMC does is read
> ISO disc image files directly.  If I have some DVDs that I want to put
> on a NAS instead of loading the disc each time, I don't have to fool
> around with removing the menus and all that business, just dd the whole
> thing to a .iso file.  I would be surprised if the players you saw do that.

It's funny, my biggest concern with black-box frontend is commercial skip and
mythtv compatibility.

So far none of them are up to task. I bought a little MG-800HD from Canada
Computers for $300. It's a very nice little unit and works with Myth much
better than my brother's Popcorn Hour did, but in the end it was sub-par. Myth
has titles and subtitles for recordings, but it only displayed titles.  So,
for example, you'd see 5 "CBC News Now" but no date, no subtitle or byline.
Totally useless.

Superb video though... full 1080p, a nice little form factor... but difficult
menuing and the standard "you will watch media how WE decide you will"
mentality.  It went back the next day.

Minimyth on a little Atom+ION system sounds like it's gonna be the bee's knees
for me.

-A.