[kwlug-disc] Linux replacement for Windows Domain Server

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Wed Nov 25 01:32:09 EST 2009

It's like you read my mind.

There's already one Linux server in the office, doing Web and mail (so
no Exchange).  Some Windows workstations running XP, a couple with
Vista.  Some with shared printers attached.  No central file server,
people are either e-mailing each other files or using sneakernet (and
that's fine with them).

The problem I'm trying to solve is authentication/authorization to use
the shared printers, without using shared passwords, and without needing
to whack-a-mole every workstation when someone forgets or changes a
password.

I'm hoping to make the Linux server do the authentication in a
Windows-like way.  For each workstation I can change the login from
Workgroup to Domain, then perform user and printer administration from
the server.

I'm also considering network printer ports for the printers, but those
need Domain authentication too.

--Bob.