[kwlug-disc] Centralized configuration tools

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Tue Nov 24 15:55:57 EST 2009

Paul Nijjar wrote, On 11/24/2009 1:11 AM:
> Neat. I still don't understand the configuration management wars, but

The wars exist because there is no magic wand that you can wave on
your computer to magically grok your network. Let alone have that
magic wand spawn sub-magic wand subroutines that go out and sub-wand
every other device on your network to compel cooperation with yours.

At least until we have end to end homogeneous environments. e.g. Your
computer, the switch it connects to, your receptionist's computer, the
router both go through, and so on and so forth. i.e. Until everything
runs Windows. And the only reason I say that is in that scenario MS is
the central decider of the 5W's of how to manage something and can
embed the necessary hooks in their OS's. If it were that prevalent,
you could substitute Red Hat or Debian for Windows in the above. I
expect you have already encountered how such is unfortunately not
true, with SNMP implementation across all devices.

So, ultimately, you are trying to bring a bunch of disparate devices
and software under one single management umbrella, with varying
degrees of inconsistent success, frequently depending upon common
agreement of what to implement, and whether it happens or not. KDE vs.
Gnome is an example. And a rather more successful example, at that,
than most. KDE/Gnome is pretty universally implemented
(implementable?) across Linux distros, probably many *nixes (e.g. Mac)
(?), and is making inroads into Windows. I'm not expecting AIX or
IBM's mini's / mainframes any time soon though. (Let alone the
management thereof.) Perhaps a similar example to what you are
observing are the various virtualization 'clients' out there
currently. [Especially when there used to be only 2 or 3.]

Part of the problem then, inherent to the above, is if what you're
looking to capture on a remote machine does not have embedded within
the OS the exposure of it, you have to install a client piece of
software on the foreign computer, and that creates its own logistical
issues. Especially as you're usually remote, and must be root to do
so. Only root having the necessary permissions to interact at the
lowest hardware / service levels to extract events and / or extract
and impact configuration.

And, there is always debate as to what to implement, let alone that
the world is a moving target. e.g. Home Servers - MythBuntu and LMCE
are arguably both home servers, yet don't 100% share feature sets.
There is no common agreement as to what is, and what is in a 'home
server.' Moreover (I'm supposing), LMCE being older, added Myth and
Asterisk to its home control functionality, while MythBuntu built on
Myth instead of home control, and added Asterisk to it. Home control
not being any part of MythBuntu's feature set. [Due less that they
don't agree it should be part of a home server, than lack of resources
to implement it, and, of course, even in home control systems you
(re)encounter this lack of common definition and implementation. A
light switch not even having any concept of temperature that a
thermostat does, and the light switch not even willing to understand
why temperature would be useful to anything - temperature not being
part of a light switch's world view.]

Put another way, we have "configuration management wars" for the same
reasons we don't have world wide 10-digit phone dialling. Although
they're working on it. The schemes to do so being kludgey and
confusing. Or, for the same reasons we're not already all running IPv6.

<sigh>

If only I had a magic wand, the world would be a better place. By my
definition, only, of course.