[kwlug-disc] Centralized configuration tools

Eric Gerlach eric+kwlug at gerlach.ca
Sun Nov 22 11:14:58 EST 2009

cfengine: ugly, old, not declarative.
bcfg2: XML, no community.
puppet: A bit slow, sometimes unintuitive.

Another one: chef.  Chef is like puppet but procedural, not declarative.

I'm really liking working with Puppet.  It's taken a long time to get it
integrated into our environment (one year and we're not done yet), and
getting something deployed takes 2-5x as long, but once it's out there
it's easy to manage and we can redo it in seconds if we have to.

Puppet is also a bit confusing sometimes, and it takes a bit of getting
used to doing things "the Puppet way", but I think it's worth getting
past that.

I was thinking about possibly giving a talk on Puppet sometime after my
installation talk, now that we're full through August I could consider
adding myself for about a year from now :-)

That doesn't help you in the short run, but I'm more than happy to
answer questions.  The puppet-users mailing list is also pretty good.
IRC channel is very helpful, too.

Cheers,

Eric