[kwlug-disc] Centralized configuration tools

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Sun Nov 22 04:00:26 EST 2009

Instead of doing work I am idly surfing the Internet looking at tools
people deploy to centrally manage Linux systems (clusters, labs, etc).
The goal is to put configuration settings on a central server and
deploy them remotely, rather than SSHing into servers individually.

So far I have seen the following buzzwords: puppet, cfengine, bcfg2,
lcfg. What others should I know about? (Actually, FAI has been moving
in this direction as well, but it uses other tools underneath the
hood.)

Do you centrally manage Linux machines? If so, what do you use? Please
share experiences/horror stories.

- Paul