[kwlug-disc] intermittent NIC?

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Fri Nov 20 13:25:18 EST 2009

Richard Weait wrote, On 11/20/2009 12:14 AM:
> On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 1:17 PM, unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca> wrote:
>> Can you try temporarily connecting it to another hub, preferably the latest
>> switch you can find? If it gets stable, you're running into an
>> auto-negotiation problem. I suppose even a crossover cable to another NIC
>> (of reasonably recent make, say, 5 years) would do, for testing purposes.
>
> This appears to have been the problem.  Out with the closest switch
> and communication is perfect.  Nevermind that four other boxes were
> happy to use this switch previously.  Stupid switch.

You went with a gigabit Cisco smart switch, right? e.g.
http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=020105&cid=NTW.311.651

So you could put what you learned about monitoring and performance in
Andrew's, Paul's, and Khalid's presentations to work? (-:

P.S. Everyone, when Richard gets that eSata connector on the back of
his repository box, head over to his place with your external eSata
drives to pick up your *buntu .iso's! Bring beer. And chips. And DVDs.
Pre-ripping optional. Domino's gift cards would probably be
appreciated too. (Richard, what was the address, again?)