[kwlug-disc] remote storage

Lori Paniak ldpaniak at fourpisolutions.com
Fri Nov 20 12:09:44 EST 2009

It might be more cost and space effective to get a (supported) SATA PCI
card and go with inexpensive SATA drives. Though pretty slow through
PCI.

Is this an enterprise-class installation?

The drives most likely to fail are ones that fail regular SMART testing
(see smartmontools).  For SATA drives, all major vendors are pretty much
equivalent.  Be sure to test the drive before you install it.  You'd be
amazed how many new drives fail the manufacturer's diagnostics.