[kwlug-disc] intermittent NIC?

john at netdirect.ca john at netdirect.ca
Thu Nov 19 14:24:21 EST 2009

kwlug-disc-bounces at kwlug.org wrote on 11/19/2009 01:17:14 PM:

> From: unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca>
> In another reply, it says to watch for setting changes when you move
> it to another connection. Huh? A nailed local nic's settings don't
> stay nailed?

When setting the MII options for a NIC and then changing it to another
switch or hub the settings may need to be changed. Say moving from a
10/100 switch to a 10MBit, or from a 10/100 to GbE only.

I mentioned that because going outside the norm on something like this
usually means tripping over it in the future. A $10 NIC to some (and a
sticker on the internal Ethernet port) is preferred by some rather than
tripping over this in the future.