[kwlug-disc] Microsoft lifts GPL code, uses in Microsoft Store tool

Eric Gerlach eric+kwlug at gerlach.ca
Sun Nov 8 10:21:11 EST 2009

On Sun, Nov 08, 2009 at 09:24:19AM -0500, Lori Paniak wrote:
> Maybe we should all ask for the source code?
>
> http://www.withinwindows.com/2009/11/06/microsoft-lifts-gpl-code-uses-in-microsoft-store-tool/
>
> Again, it raises the question of how do you know in a legally convincing way if someone is using GPL code, given only the complied binary?

You don't.  You raise enough suspicion to get a subpoena.  Once you've
got the subpoena, you give your code and theirs to a trusted third-party
to perform the review.  Their code is kept secret, your complaints are
tested.

Now... you're screwed if they've obfuscated the binary, though...

Cheers,

Eric