[kwlug-disc] Topics for future meetings

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Wed Nov 4 23:31:35 EST 2009

On Wed, 4 Nov 2009, Chris Frey wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 02, 2009 at 11:53:46PM -0500, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
> >    - Chris Frey on some kernel internals (how it allocates CPU, disk,
> >    network, memory resources, caveats, tips, hints).
>
> I'd need to give this some study.  It would be an academic
> presentation, since I don't admin overly loaded machines, except for
> tweaking my own system during compiles, etc.  i.e. more facts, less
> experience.

  chris makes a good point about a lot of kernel stuff being an
"academic" presentation.  while it might be cool to know that stuff,
i've always considered the primary focus of a LUG presentation to
inspire the attendees to think, "wow, i can't *wait* to get home and
try that myself."  and with things like kernel concepts, it's not
clear what people would *do* with that knowledge in a hands-on kind of
way.  that's the reason that, when i last gave a talk, it was on (i
think) how to write your first kernel module.  so that people could
actually *do* that for themselves.

  just my $0.02 for what it's worth.

rday