[kwlug-disc] Ubuntu Karmic and power management

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Wed Nov 4 10:06:01 EST 2009

As for the question on what acpi_osi is, I have no idea, and don't care much
to be honest. I found something online about it, tried it and it worked. So
now power management is happy.

On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 9:16 AM, Lori Paniak <ldpaniak at fourpisolutions.com>wrote:

> Are these parameters good for grub and/or grub2?  Does grub2 pass them
> in the same manner as we are used to in plain grub?
>
> I think the hope of an automated upgrade across bootloaders from
> Jaunty(grub) to Karmic(grub2) is faint.  The claim is that an in-place
> upgrade will not change the bootloader, but reports suggest otherwise.
> I have not had any trouble with fresh Karmic installs on several
> machines.
>
> Some, possibly helpful, notes on bootloader upgrades in ubuntu:
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/Grub2Testing
>
> The best approach appears to be to test grub2 in Jaunty (as outlined in
> the link) and iron out any glitches before any upgrade to Karmic.

The one laptop that was upgraded from Jaunty to Karmic successfully has grub
that behaves like the old grub, and I edited it the same way. So I assume it
is not grub2?
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.