[kwlug-disc] Botched upgrade from Kubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty) to 9.10 (Karmic)

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Wed Nov 4 08:41:12 EST 2009

And now that I am trying even that (clean install from a new CD, after
backing up /home), it is not working even.

The CD boots fine, and works well, except the fonts are all messed up. They
are too big and I can't read the dialogs to proceed with the install.

It looks very similar to a previous problem I had. You can see a screenshot
here
http://baheyeldin.com/technology/linux/ubuntu-edgy-6-10-to-feisty-7-04-upgrade-sound-and-video-issues.html

One difference: my laptop is 64 bits, the one with problems is 32 bits.

On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 11:48 PM, R. Brent Clements <rbclemen at gmail.com>wrote:

> Why I never upgrade.  Have never had one go smoother than
> backup/reinstall.
>
> Brent
>
> On Tue, 2009-11-03 at 19:02 -0500, Gary Walsh wrote:
> > On Tue, 2009-11-03 at 17:33 -0500, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
> > > So, I am singing the praises for Kubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala) after I
> > > upgraded on Saturday.
> > >
> > > Then, I grab another laptop and try to do the same upgrade that I did
> > > on mine, but reach a dead end.
> > >
> > > What happens is that the system never booted fully after the upgrade.
> > >
> > Apparently, you are not the only one to have problems:
> >

> http://linux.slashdot.org/story/09/11/03/2211231/Some-Early-Adopters-Stung-By-Ubuntus-Karmic-Koala

Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.
http://2bits.com