[kwlug-disc] Ubuntu Karmic and power management

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Tue Nov 3 22:42:53 EST 2009

I wrote:

> Surely we don't use the stars around the parameter?

Never mind.  An ever-so-helpful mail user agent decided that <bold>
style in the HTML version of the message should be made visually evident
as asterisks in the plain text version.

Those of us who read and write in text/plain are sure disadvantaged in
this winken, blinken, glow-in-the-dark world...

--Bob.

Khalid writes:

> To this:
>
> kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-14-generic
> root=UUID=d2d0abec-e28f-42bc-9afa-ba6faca5ed20 ro quiet splash *acpi_osi="Linux"*

Surely we don't use the stars around the parameter? And I expect that
was intended to be all on one line...

Where are these obscure things documented?  I found
http://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt but it's
remarkably vague on what the 'acpi_osi' strings are and what they
actually do.

--Bob.