[kwlug-disc] FreeDOS

john at netdirect.ca john at netdirect.ca
Fri May 29 10:33:13 EDT 2009

kwlug-disc-bounces at kwlug.org wrote on 05/29/2009 10:23:06 AM:
> I was fighting with a similar problem last night on different hardware.
>
> I came across this on installing ubuntu from different media - including
> hard drive:
>
> http://news.softpedia.com/news/Alternative-Installation-Methods-for-
> Hardy-86977.shtml
>
> Short version:  Install ubuntu(server?) on the hard drive leaving an
> extra partition big enough to copy your iso into then adjust grub to
> point at the disk-based iso installer.  Put the drive back in your
> tablet and boot to the Winstaller.
>
> Advantage:  grub is going to work without fiddling with sys.
>
> Similar to what you suggested, but without the FreeDOS step.

Microsoft used to have an OEM install method for system builders that
involved creating a FAT file system and placing OEM drivers on the disk.
We never did this because our volume was so low.

How about removing the disk, installing elsewhere and doing the first boot
on the tablet? If removing the disk isn't an option, you could install on
a disk on another PC and image the result to the tablet using a PXE boot.

John Van Ostrand
Net Direct Inc.

CTO, co-CEO
564 Weber St. N. Unit 12