[kwlug-disc] server compromised

Insurance Squared Inc. gcooke at insurancesquared.com
Wed May 13 19:36:40 EDT 2009

So no firm answer is possible, but it sounds like I'm 'probably' safe.
This was an automated attack, not an individual actively logging on.  I
guess I'll leave it for now, and work on doing a complete server wipe
which is long overdue.

Going forward, the only person who ftp's on to my server is this user.
Everyone else - which consists of myself and my developer - do any
server stuff from command line linux.  Is there any benefit from my
forcing my friend to use ssh to access the server instead of ftp?  He's
on a windows box so he'd have to find some software.  I installed an ftp
daemon for his benefit and didn't like it at the time.

g.