[kwlug-disc] One way to kill open source

Raul Suarez rarsa at yahoo.com
Mon May 11 17:37:24 EDT 2009

The problem with this approach is that software is non-deterministic for non tested paths. The Creator of a spread sheet application cannot test with all the different combinations of cells, the creator of a word processor cannot test writing all the different combinations of words and styles.

Does that mean that the software manual should spell all the tested paths and expected outcome?

It would be nice if software were already a science but it's in its infancy.

Software is complex, it's built on multiple layers (HW, OS, Drivers, Libraries, application code). The number of variables frequently approximate infinite. That's the beauty of software It can be used in ways that the original developer never thought of.

I think that this is a case that should be better left to the market forces. Whether it's quality or marketing, the important thing is to have options.

Besides: What would be the extent of the liability? the price of the software? the damage caused? The lower or higher of those? What constitutes proper use? Never forget that this is lawyers writing about something they know little about.

Raul Suarez

Technology consultant
Software, Hardware and Practices
http://rarsa.blogspot.com/