[kwlug-disc] One way to kill open source

Rashkae rashkae at tigershaunt.com
Mon May 11 15:02:56 EDT 2009

Richard Weait wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-05-11 at 14:00 -0400, john at netdirect.ca wrote:
>> http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-300769.html?tag=nl.e589
> The article suggests:
> "Software companies could be held responsible for the security and
> efficacy of their products, if a new European Commission consumer
> protection proposal becomes law."

It depends exactly what they mean by liability, and this can be tricky.
 From reading the article summary, it looks like they only 'liability'
being discussed is simple consumer protection. If I buy a piece of
software, and it doesn't work worth crap (and indeed, this has often be
the case) I should be able to bring it back to the store and say "This
is crap and doesn't work, I want my money back." Currently i can't do
that however.  (I love how all the stores claim this is because of
'copyright law'.   I've yet to see a copyright statute that says I can't
return an unfit product.)