[kwlug-disc] Clock-time limits

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Wed May 6 19:31:15 EDT 2009

List, is there a way to limit the amount of clock-time a program is
allowed to run?

I currently use offlineimap via cron to cache my mail locally. It
unfortunately seems to have a habit of becoming unresponsive if it
happens to be active when I suspend/resume my laptop (probably the
network disappearing). This then causes me to not (locally) receive any
mail as when spawned by cron again it bails out due to the existing

I could add 'pkill offlineimap' to the start of my wrapper script, but
was hoping for something more elegant.

Chris Irwin <chris at chrisirwin.ca>