[kwlug-disc] hackerspace communications

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Fri Mar 20 11:07:43 EDT 2009

Someone was telling me not long ago that this is, or was, already
being done somewhere in the K-W area. As best I remember, it was
centered around carpenty, but could be a bit more. Likely oriented
towards seniors. It may be closed down now. If I remember who it was,
next time I see them I'll try to remember to ask.

Rent may not be as big an issue as thought, if, for example, the space
was donated by the city or region. Nor insurance, if you must be a
'member' - which probably really means signing a liability waiver.

Years ago there were photography darkrooms available for rent by the
hour. Nowadays that's been replaced by scanners and computers
available for rent (by the minute?) at your local photocopy shop.

With our population aging, presumably this sort of thing is likely to
grow. Well ... maybe ... we all expected Linux to be a bigger deal
than it has turned out to be.

Mind you, a recent (Linux Journal?) article I read suggests that the
best thing to happen to Linux (for penetration) has been Ubuntu /
Shuttleworth. Not just for mind presence, but for packages - if
everyone wants to get themselves into the Ubuntu repository, and
Ubuntu is Debian based, any given package tends to get greater / more
uniform presence than it did before (wherein it would have to have
presence in many distro repositories in order to hit the eyes of as
many people as Ubuntu delivers now.)