[kwlug-disc] Garden planning software

Cameron Frazier frazier.cameron at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 14:18:44 EDT 2009

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 1:47 PM, Richard Weait <richard at weait.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-03-17 at 13:07 -0400, Adam Glauser wrote:
>> Well it's that time of year.  I try to remember where my perennials are
>> and which ones bloom at which time.  I figure out where I can fit the
>> tomato plants that always end up encroaching on whatever's beside them
>> anyway.
>>
>> I figure it's about time I make some notes so I don't have to figure
>> this out again every year.  What I'd like to do is make a scale diagram
>> of my garden-flowerbeds and try to map this out.  I suppose I could use
>> graph paper, but where's the fun in that?
>>
>> I haven't found any promising leads by searching (Google (with open
>> source in the terms), Sourceforge and freshmeat).  Even 'scale diagram'
>> doesn't turn up much.  I have a bit of experience with Dia, but always
>> feel like I'm fighting it to get things sized the way I'd like.
>>
>> What would you use for drawing a scale diagram (for values of 'you'
>> where 'you' is in the set 'CAD newbs').  Even better, do you know of any
>> (FLOSS) garden planning software?
>
> I'd use OpenStreetMap and the rest of the community would just shake
> their heads.
>
> amenity = flower
> tulip = red
> Richard = banned

Leverage open source!

How about a local/private OSM styled server arrangement?  Change the
available scales, tweak the available node details and you have a
cross platform intranet web-app.  You could even use PotLatch as a the
editor!

Though that may require more horsepower then you want to allocate for
a simple app, and quite a bit of effort.  The pen/paper route may be
the most efficient for a single user though.

Regards,

Cameron

PS. Richard, I hope all is well.  I'm going to try to get to the KWLUG
meeting in April, but we shall see.