[kwlug-disc] Garden planning software

Adam Glauser adamglauser at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 13:07:49 EDT 2009

Well it's that time of year.  I try to remember where my perennials are
and which ones bloom at which time.  I figure out where I can fit the
tomato plants that always end up encroaching on whatever's beside them
anyway.

I figure it's about time I make some notes so I don't have to figure
this out again every year.  What I'd like to do is make a scale diagram
of my garden-flowerbeds and try to map this out.  I suppose I could use
graph paper, but where's the fun in that?

I haven't found any promising leads by searching (Google (with open
source in the terms), Sourceforge and freshmeat).  Even 'scale diagram'
doesn't turn up much.  I have a bit of experience with Dia, but always
feel like I'm fighting it to get things sized the way I'd like.

What would you use for drawing a scale diagram (for values of 'you'
where 'you' is in the set 'CAD newbs').  Even better, do you know of any
(FLOSS) garden planning software?