[kwlug-disc] Job offer: J2EE Software Development Manager

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Thu Mar 12 16:26:32 EDT 2009

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 09:42, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca> wrote:
>  just to be clear, i think it's great if a local person lands a
> linux job.  the issue is that, if that happens, a recruiting company
> makes $$$ off of it, while the LUG (if it helped secure the placement)
> gets nothing out of it.
>
>  let me make what i think is an important distinction here -- there
> are people who have every right to look for employees here, because
> they're part of the local linux community.  for example, would anyone
> begrudge netdirect posting on the discussion list, advertising
> openings?  of course not -- because john is an active member of the
> community and contributes constantly.  he's *earned* the right to
> recruit here.

I agree with Robert. Job ads through the LUG are fine. If John were to
post an ad it would be acceptable. Not just due to being an active
contributor, but simply as an employer looking for a Linux person. A
Linux group is an obvious place to look for a Linux person.

Compare with John paying an agency to find a Linux person, which in
turn posts to the list. The results are the same, but there was money
exchanging hands for leveraging "the community." They should probably
be included anyway since I agree that it is good to at least help
somebody get a job, but it would be at least nice for the head hunter
to donate a bit from the fee to the FLOSS fund as thanks.

--
Chris Irwin
<chris at chrisirwin.ca>