[kwlug-disc] Job offer: J2EE Software Development Manager

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Thu Mar 12 09:42:48 EDT 2009

On Thu, 12 Mar 2009, Oksana Goertzen wrote:

> Maybe we need a separate mailing list under the KWLUG's umbrella for
> job postings related to Linux.
>
> Personally, the odd email doesn't bother me, especially if it means
> a local person lands a good job in the field.

  just to be clear, i think it's great if a local person lands a
linux job.  the issue is that, if that happens, a recruiting company
makes $$$ off of it, while the LUG (if it helped secure the placement)
gets nothing out of it.

  let me make what i think is an important distinction here -- there
are people who have every right to look for employees here, because
they're part of the local linux community.  for example, would anyone
begrudge netdirect posting on the discussion list, advertising
openings?  of course not -- because john is an active member of the
community and contributes constantly.  he's *earned* the right to
recruit here.

  and, again, as harsh as it may sound, local recruiting companies --
apart from trying to place people because it's how they make a living
-- contribute *nothing* back to the LUG.  it's kind of a one-way
street there, no?

rday

Robert P. J. Day
    Have classroom, will lecture.