[kwlug-disc] Unlimitel/ATA pricing

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Wed Mar 11 23:27:01 EDT 2009

Paul Nijjar wrote, On 03/11/2009 7:26 PM:

> --- On Wed, 3/11/09, L.D. Paniak <ldpaniak at fourpisolutions.com> wrote:
>
>> Let's try mutual ignorance reduction:
>>
>> What is a Norstar CICS phone box and how does it relate to
>> phones with RJ11 jacks?
>
> Here is a Norstar CICS:
>
> http://www.athq.com/customer/home.php?cat=440

Lori or someone else will have to comment further.

.
.
.
> So I think the diagram is:
>
> Bell lines -> CICS Box -> Extensions block -> Digital phones
>
> Does that reduce ignorance at all?

This is standard wiring for any phone system.

Incoming (copper) wires, of whatever form, terminate at a block.

Block (PBX 'line' 'input')
^

PBX/ key system /house phones
^

Block (PBX 'extension' 'output')

Extensions terminate at a block.

'Jumpers' 'set 1' connect incoming lines on their block to the pbx
'lines' on their block.

Jumpers, 'set 2' connect incoming extensions on their block to the pbx
'extension' lines on their block.

4 blocks total. Jumpers between 'pairs'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BIX (giving us what we commonly call 'BIX
blocks'.)

The jumpers provide what is commonly called the 'cross-connect' from
the telco block (termination, or point of presence) to customer / on
premise equipment.

I looked, but I can't quickly find any good links to pictures of bixes
or bix installations.