[kwlug-disc] new laptop time -- decisions, decisions ...

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Tue Mar 10 14:19:58 EDT 2009

Robert P. J. Day wrote, On 03/10/2009 11:36 AM:
>   i was leaning towards this:
>
> http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220492

- has fingerprint reader, bag. (Mouse.)
- 0.4 faster CPU, if that matters.
- has bluetooth, webcam

> but then i found this:
>
> http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4187624&CatId=2289
.
.
.

- you will only connect USB peripherals? (keyboards, printers) [For
any peripherals you don't just access over the net.]
- SPDIF also means stereo plug if you use a headset? [pictures, not
specs., seem to indicate so.]
- No bluetooth or webcam, if that's important to you.

- eSata = GOOD! (Fast backups to external drives.)

- if you want virtual, you might keep in mind Lori's comment to keep
an eye out for V/VT processors.

This is for a desktop replacement? (I assume so, as your laptops are
your desktop.) Screen size must be important to you either for HD TV
or presentations. I know you've just gotten a new projector toy - I'm
guessing the laptop video outs are important to you for presenting at
higher resolution.

In my case, I'm looking for a mobile comm. centre, so bluetooth and
webcam would be deal breakers for me. But that's not you - where
development and speed would be important.

It does seem that the loss leaders and low end books lack bluetooth,
cameras, and so on. Curiously, many come with 1 GB net and 802.11n.