[kwlug-disc] new laptop time -- decisions, decisions ...
unsolicited at swiz.ca
Tue Mar 10 14:19:58 EDT 2009
Robert P. J. Day wrote, On 03/10/2009 11:36 AM:
> i was leaning towards this:
- has fingerprint reader, bag. (Mouse.)
- 0.4 faster CPU, if that matters.
- has bluetooth, webcam
> but then i found this:
- you will only connect USB peripherals? (keyboards, printers) [For
any peripherals you don't just access over the net.]
- SPDIF also means stereo plug if you use a headset? [pictures, not
specs., seem to indicate so.]
- No bluetooth or webcam, if that's important to you.
- eSata = GOOD! (Fast backups to external drives.)
- if you want virtual, you might keep in mind Lori's comment to keep
an eye out for V/VT processors.
This is for a desktop replacement? (I assume so, as your laptops are
your desktop.) Screen size must be important to you either for HD TV
or presentations. I know you've just gotten a new projector toy - I'm
guessing the laptop video outs are important to you for presenting at
In my case, I'm looking for a mobile comm. centre, so bluetooth and
webcam would be deal breakers for me. But that's not you - where
development and speed would be important.
It does seem that the loss leaders and low end books lack bluetooth,
cameras, and so on. Curiously, many come with 1 GB net and 802.11n.
More information about the kwlug-disc