[kwlug-disc] new laptop time -- decisions, decisions ...

Oksana Goertzen ogoertzen at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 13:09:23 EDT 2009

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 12:55 PM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca>wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Mar 2009, Oksana Goertzen wrote:
>

> > On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 12:36 PM, Robert P. J. Day <
> rpjday at crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> >
> >        i was leaning towards this:
> >
> >       http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220492
> >
> >       but then i found this:
> >

> http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4187624&CatId=228
> >       9
> >
> >        in many ways, of course, they're similar.  and while i'm willing
> >       believe that the ASUS is a better built system, i've had gateways
> >       before and they've done the job nicely.
> >
> >        so ... thoughts?  is the ASUS $350 better than the gateway?
> >

> > Hi Robert et al,
> >
> > I have a Lenovo T500 at work (15.4 " display) and it's a very nice
> > machine.  You might want to consider one of the W or T models Lenovo
> > offers.  I believe they offer a good quality laptop with the keys in
> > standard locations.  Some of the newer laptops I've seen - the keys
> > are strangely configured or the keyboard is unusually slick... which
> > doesn't seem to suit my purposes.   I like the fact the T series has
> > a rollcage for the display and the main board, plus drainage holes
> > in case something spills on it plus DDR3 ram and metal hinges and
> > other features.  Some of the models also have a discrete video card
> > for regular work/surfing and an onboard for maximum memory life (you
> > can switch between the two).  If battery life is important to you,
> > you can also order a 9 cell battery instead of a six.
>
>   i need a WUXGA display, that's not negotiable.  what's are my
> options for WUXGA model lenovos?  i'd certainly consider one.

It looks to me like certain W models support WUXGA:
http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/webca/LenovoPortal/en_CA/catalog.workflow:expandcategory?current-catalog-id=12F0696583E04D86B9B79B0FEC01C087&current-category-id=3E6104B5827D488DA12BA359240B4668&tab=3#tab-container-4

You'd probably be best to contact Lenovo directly or a reseller to
confirm.

:)  Oksana