[kwlug-disc] new laptop time -- decisions, decisions ...

Oksana Goertzen ogoertzen at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 12:47:57 EDT 2009

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 12:36 PM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca>wrote:

>  i was leaning towards this:
>
> http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220492
>
> but then i found this:
>

> http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4187624&CatId=2289
>
>  in many ways, of course, they're similar.  and while i'm willing to
> believe that the ASUS is a better built system, i've had gateways
> before and they've done the job nicely.
>
>  so ... thoughts?  is the ASUS $350 better than the gateway?
>
> rday
> --

> Robert P. J. Day
> Linux Consulting, Training and Annoying Kernel Pedantry:
>    Have classroom, will lecture.
>
> http://crashcourse.ca                          Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

Hi Robert et al,

I have a Lenovo T500 at work (15.4 " display) and it's a very nice machine.
You might want to consider
one of the W or T models Lenovo offers.  I believe they offer a good quality
laptop with the keys in
standard locations.  Some of the newer laptops I've seen - the keys are
strangely configured or the
keyboard is unusually slick... which doesn't seem to suit my purposes.   I
like the fact the T series
has a rollcage for the display and the main board, plus drainage holes in
case something spills on it
plus DDR3 ram and metal hinges and other features.  Some of the models also
have a discrete
video card for regular work/surfing and an onboard for maximum memory life
(you can switch between
the two).  If battery life is important to you, you can also order a 9 cell
battery instead of a six.

Happy Shopping!

- Oksana