[kwlug-disc] Personal/Task/Project Management

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Sat Mar 7 12:38:06 EST 2009

--- On Fri, 3/6/09, Richard Weait <richard at weait.com> wrote:

> I retract my suggestion.  I'm horrified by the idea of
> a LUG steering committee.
>
> I'll try again.
>

> I'd love to know what our members use for PIM and collaboration.  If
> only there were some way to objectively compare a number of
> different systems / approaches, I bet it would be an _awesome_ and
> broadly anticipated presentation.

I think the word "objectively" is a red herring here. I think it would
be good to see what works for other people. But "the thing that works"
for people can vary widely. There are some general principles that
work for a lot of people (the Getting Things Done movement comes to
mind) but there is a lot of personal preference, variation in
information processing strengths (some people are visual, some people
are aural, some people prefer text), and plain old historical accident
at play as well.

You might be able to outline the different capabilities of different
systems, but I think it would be difficult to have a bake-off.

Having said that I could be bribed into sharing my methods at a LUG
presentation. They are pretty low-tech, though: text files for
structured information, and hnb for somewhat hierarchical stuff.
(There is also to-do lists on paper and gloriously locked-in OneNote,
which is part of the shared infrastructure at work.)

- Paul