[kwlug-disc] PC/hardware question

Insurance Squared Inc. gcooke at insurancesquared.com
Mon Mar 2 16:18:14 EST 2009

There was an article in last week's Record about a program that small
offices like mine could get an energy audit and maybe get our
flourescent lites swapped out for something energy efficient (and I
thought flourescents were efficient - but what do I know).  I've applied
for an audit to that program.....but now I'm wondering what it would
take for my office to go much greener than it currently is.  My
requirements aren't much; we've got leased space, a phone system and
some computers.  That's about it.  So if they make my lights energy
efficient, then the only thing I've got drawing power are my
computers......which brings me to my question:

Are there any low power/green computers available that are suitable for
an office environment - that'll run XP or linux?  Ones that have enough
horsepower that I don't need to compromise?  What about LCD monitors?
Are there such things as low power consumption LCD monitors?

Now to tie it into linux.....we have a variety of industry niche
programs that only run on Windows, and a printer or two that doesn't
have linux drivers, and a scanner that isn't in SANE,  calculator
programs, and even some sites that require IE only.   If I go buy all
new low power consumption PC's and go completely Mandriva in the office
at that time, does linux now have the ability for me to confidently run
Windows apps seamlessly?  I know codeweavers has something, I don't mind
paying - but I would want to know ahead of time that we're not going to
have to back out because we can't run some windows apps.

In other words, I'm already running Mandriva myself.  Am I safe if I
move my wife's computer over to mandriva as well :)?

g.