[kwlug-disc] thanks to all who replied -- the new netbook was purchased

Charles M chaslinux at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 08:37:31 EDT 2009

> http://free.avg.com/
>
> http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

Actually AVG is a bad choice, a really bad one! I recently loaded a machine
with viruses so I could test various antivirus solutions. AVG had the worst
performance of any of the antiviruses, detecting only 1 virus (with updated
signatures).

PC Tools anti-virus (which has a free/demo) detected 5 viruses.

Norton Enterprise Edition (which we use at work) detected 9 viruses.

The two top anti-viruses in the test were surprisingly Avast and Clam which
both found 10 viruses.

Kaspersky crashed like Microsoft Bob, it just refused to run for more than a
few minutes on the VM.

Now I didn't conduct a very scientific test, but all the viruses were there
for each test. We'd been recommending AVG for quite some time because it's
fairly light weight, but we stopped after its dismal failure to actually
catch any viruses. We've been recommending people use Avast (though it's
limited).

For anti-malware we've had some success with MalwareBytes Anti-Malware. Who?
What? Yes, that's what I thought too, but it seems okay enough and there's
both a free and pay version. The URL is: http://malwarebytes.org/

Cheers,

Charles