[kwlug-disc] Hackerspace membership drive
paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Fri Jun 12 11:59:38 EDT 2009
For those of you who may be interested in the hackerspace thing but
for some reason are not on their mailing lists, this looks like pretty
----- Forwarded message from announce-request at makekw.org -----
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 15:23:40 -0400
From: "Punkin3.14" <punkin at mag3.14159.ca>
Subject: [Announce] Hackerspace: General Meeting July 9, 2009
To: announce at makekw.org
Message-ID: <4A3159BC.1000609 at mag3.14159.ca>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Its Show'n'Tell Time!
Over the past two months, the admin group has been chatting up a storm
on our mailing list, meeting weekly, surveying the public, and going on
field trips. We've come up with some ideas, laid out some plans, and on
Thursday July 9, we'll be ready to share it all with you.
The most important news we can share right now. After surveying what you
are willing to pay, and working out how much money we'll need to be
sustainable, we've come up with the following fee structure:
* a $100, non-refundable sign-up fee, along with a
* a $50/month membership subscription fee
At this price point, we can open doors with 25 paid members! At the
General Meeting, we'll find out how close we are to achieving those
numbers, and finalize all of the details needed to complete the
HACKERSPACE: GENERAL MEETING
Date: July 9, 2009
Time: To Be Announced
Location: To Be Announced
A more formal agenda will be posted to the website, closer to the
meeting, but here's some of what you can expect:
==What We'll be Discussing at the Meeting
The admin group will be presenting everything that we've gleaned over
the past 2 months, including:
* The results of last month's Hackerspace Survey
* What we've seen other hackerspaces do, and what ideas we may (or may
not) want borrow from them
* Our estimated start-up and operating budget
* Our recommendation on whether or not we should incorporate as a
* Our draft of our Objects of Incorporation
* Possible locations which we've surveyed in the area
==What We'll be Deciding at the Meeting
We are on the cusp of incorporating, but before we can do that there are
a couple of decisions which we need to make.
While these items are up for discussion by anyone at the meeting, voting
on them will be a privilege reserved for paid members. Yes, you can pay
for your membership at the meeting.
[ http://makekw.org/hackerspace/membership_fee ]
Members who are not able to attend the meeting will be able to vote by
proxy. Details to follow.
* We need to select a name for the Hackerspace
* We need to elect 7 Directors
* We need to finalize our Objects of Incorporation
* We need to decide whether or not we will be incorporating as a
==What You Can Do Before the Meeting
There is home work, for the keen:
* Give us suggestions for a name.
[ http://makekw.org/hackerspace/names ]
* In another week or so, we'll be asking you to help us shorten that
list to 5 contenders.
* Think about whether you are interested in serving on the Board of
Directors. If you are, and have questions, sign up for the Admin mailing
list [ http://makekw.org/mailman/listinfo/admin_makekw.org ] and ask us
there, so we don't clog up this list.
* Recommend locations we might want to survey before the meeting.
[ http://makekw.org/hackerspace/locations_to_visit ]
* Sign up! Seriously, membership begins today, and membership gives you
a vote in how we proceed. We need at least 25 paid members before we can
move forward. Visit http://makekw.org/hackerspace/membership_fee for
membership details and instructions on how to sign up.
=\ /= punkin at mag3.14159.ca | http://punkin3.14159.ca
/ \ Relaxen,
| | und watschen der blinkenlichten
| |( ( | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
| | ) ) | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
| |(_( | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
Announce mailing list
Announce at makekw.org
End of Announce Digest, Vol 3, Issue 1
----- End forwarded message -----
More information about the kwlug-disc_kwlug.org