[kwlug-disc] debian 5.0 (lenny) install goes faster by moving the mouse?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Fri Jun 5 19:47:38 EDT 2009

On Fri, 5 Jun 2009, L.D. Paniak wrote:

> Rob,
>
> When I was (net) installing Lenny on those machines I seem to recall
> the same thing. Also, I had trouble with the clocks after the
> install.  Try installing with notsc and nolapic options.
>
> I think it was a problem with the onboard networking.  Try
> installing ubuntu or something with a disk-only installation
> procedure to compare.

  well, after a couple of tests, it appears that feeding all 5 DVDs
into the drive early in the install when it asks me if i have another
DVD to peruse is the solution.  which inspires the question -- what is
the install process looking for and keeping track of on those DVDs?
it can't possible store all of their contents in RAM, but it's clearly
remembering *something* that allows each package configure step to
complete quickly.

  thoughts?

rday

Linked In:                             http://www.linkedin.com/in/rpjday