[kwlug-disc] vmware questions

Oksana Goertzen ogoertzen at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 13:50:00 EDT 2009

I personally have both VMware workstation and VirtualBox on my Ubuntu
machine and far prefer VirtualBox - so you may want to look at that as an
alternative.  You can also install ESXi - I'm not sure what it's called now
under vSphere... and run guest os's on top of that.. so you could run
Mandriva when you need it and Windows when you need it or both.  If you want
to make snapshots and the like, you're probably better off going with
VMmare.. but if you can - try out both creating some test images.  I use
VMware at work to manage multiple servers but for my personal machine - I
use VirtualBox.

VMware has a utility that will allow you to cold clone a Windows machine..
(p to v =physical to virtual)...though I'm not sure how it might work in a
dual boot system.  It's probably easiest to simply reinstall Windows in a
new VM.  Some of the info about managing disk size can be a bit confusing
and varies depending on vendor.  I've found it reasonably difficult to
expand a VM once you're created it.. so you probably want to make your XP
machine vm as large as you think you'll want it.

Good Luck!

Oksana