[kwlug-disc] Microsoft Patches Linux; Linus Responds | Linux Magazine

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Mon Jul 27 21:23:15 EDT 2009

unsolicited wrote:
>  I hear you, but ... how is the situation you describe different than
>  today's situation (pre-MS code release).

The difference is that with the code release Microsoft will get some
traction in Linux shops, then siphon that off to their own VM platform.
By slowly Extending and Embracing this code release they'll get some
lock-in on HyperV, and then possibly pull out the rug.

Now, my entire argument is based on speculation, but each step has
precedent and none of it is impossible.

>  [...] It still baffles me why similar success on the desktop still evades
>  us. Especially at MS Office costs.

I've worked for large industry, a major bank, and two levels of
government. The larger the organization, the more the thinking is that
it's important to get vendor support.  Not that the vendor support is
actually used to solve problems, but it's a way to divert blame.  If you
buy applications from a vendor and the wheels fall off then you can
always sue the guy that made them.  If you get FLOSS applications you
can get third-party support, but the only one to blame for lost wheels
is yourself.

--Bob.