[kwlug-disc] Microsoft Patches Linux; Linus Responds | Linux Magazine

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Mon Jul 27 16:08:50 EDT 2009

Khalid says:

> But as far as the embrace, extend, extinguish thing goes, they can do
> the first 2 all they like. The GPL prevents them from doing the 3rd!

The GPL can ensure that the newly released driver code lives on in its
current incarnation.

But no such restrictions exist for HyperV.  Nothing prevents Microsoft
from changing HyperV so that it becomes incompatible with the open
source drivers just released.  And open source programmers are not going
to invest much time in reverse-engineering HyperV to keep these drivers
compatible, when other open source alternatives to HyperV already exist.
A business that has invested in HyperV is not going to continue to use
an old version of HyperV to maintain compatibility with some open-source
drivers. For most businesses it makes more business sense (ie. it's
cheaper in the short term) to buy the compatible Microsoft product.

I expect Microsoft made a mistake in using GPL code in their drivers,
and they've paying for that mistake by releasing the code.  But I don't
think they would have if they didn't have to, and I'll be surprised if
they ever voluntarily release code again.

-Bob.