[kwlug-disc] and just when you were about to give them some credit ...

john at netdirect.ca john at netdirect.ca
Thu Jul 23 10:13:23 EDT 2009

kwlug-disc-bounces at kwlug.org wrote on 07/23/2009 07:30:31 AM:
> So is there any reasonable way to tell if a binary blob contains code
> which violates GPL?  Can one know how much "borrowed" code there is in
> the heart of something like Windows 7?
>
> As an old B-movie actor once said: "Trust, but verify."

I suppose in the worst case where the perpetrator intended to hide the
fact, one would have to use behaviour (intended an non-intended) to see
the violation. For the ignorant aren't there various strings in unstripped
code that be evidence? Also won't code compiled in the same way produce
fairly similar results? There may be symbols exported or imported into the
code giving some idea as to what it is about. An strace or ltrace could
show a predictable sequence of calls.

In this case they are drivers so I'd expect them to be stripped, but have
symbols and parameters, descriptions, etc.

John Van Ostrand
Net Direct Inc.

CTO, co-CEO
564 Weber St. N. Unit 12