[kwlug-disc] Using linux to fix Windows

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Fri Jul 3 20:44:50 EDT 2009

Cory Oldford wrote, On 07/03/2009 11:40 AM:
 > Use a combination of dhcpd, memdisk, pxelinux, and a floppy image
of an old version of ghost. You can network boot a system and pull a
clean image from a linux server reboot and back to business as usual.

Doesn't give the user a restore CD as it would seem to be intended. No
net boot at the users home at that point.

-----

http://www.clonezilla.org/

(I've used this successfully, at least once.)

-----

As Lori mentions, http://www.mondorescue.org/.

Make your default install fit on a DVD, for this Bare Metal Restore.

L.D. Paniak wrote, On 07/03/2009 12:30 PM:

> You should be able to build a system restore image on your 10GB
> partition with mondoarchive.  Mondoarchive will give you a bootable
> re-install image which you can access from grub.
>
> NTFS support in Linux has come a long way recently.  It may or may not
> be up to the task.
.
.
.