[kwlug-disc] Using linux to fix Windows

Chris Bruner cbruner at quadro.net
Fri Jul 3 11:19:26 EDT 2009

  It would take some experimenting, but I'm thinking that there are two
steps to do a factory restore.
1. format the drive.
2. write the smallest possible image which fits into the formated drive.

You can use dd to create the image, but figuring out the size needed may
be hard.

So restore would consist of a shell script something like
mkfs /dev/hda2 ntfs
dd if=win.ios of=/dev/hda2

(Syntax is probably wrong, this was off the top of my head).

Or alternatively you could use this article which I think does what you
want.
http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=8759&page=2