[kwlug-disc] somewhere in town to get an AT/Everex serial cable?

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Sat Jan 31 19:45:42 EST 2009

john at netdirect.ca wrote, On 01/31/2009 6:07 PM:
> -----kwlug-disc-bounces at kwlug.org wrote: -----
>  >  if memory serves, the pins are connected 1-1, 2-2 and so on.  pin
>  >10 on the board is obviously not used.
>
> That's one config. The other I've seen is 1-1, 2-6, 3-2, 4-7, 5-3, 6-8,
> 7-4, 8-5, 9-9.

<sigh>

Haven't we yet got beyond the day when everyone has to reinvent the
cable / standard / whatever. If your (you, the manufacturer) pinout
doesn't conform to what's easily out there, change your pinout.

Or the silliness of the end user, like Bob or John, having to go
through hoops, again, to use your product, just continues. When they
should just be able to go to the corner widget store and pick one up.
Even better, include it.

I don't care what's on either side of the cable and connectors. Don't
make us jump through hoops. This is not a revenue stream.

I'm tired of every doohickey with a console having their own flavour
of the month. Male, female, straight through, modem, null modem, give
me a break. Irritating surprise was Cisco when they moved to an RJ45
connector instead of a standard 9-pin (after they switched from the
then standard 25-pin) - but at least they include a cable in every box.

If nothing else, the standard cable I mentioned may give you Bob a leg
up. You should be able to move the pins on the 9-pin side around, or
solder what you need together. No doubt he's thought of that.

Not much different than, as John had to point out to me, with laptops
coming with bluetooth built in, getting a bluetooth mouse. Duh! No
more YAD (Yet Another Dongle) taking up precious real estate (port) space.

</irritated rant>