[kwlug-disc] Rogers Bandwith Limit - Consequences of exceeding?

Denver Gingerich denver at ossguy.com
Fri Jan 30 13:47:04 EST 2009

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 1:29 PM, unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca> wrote:
> Denver Gingerich wrote, On 01/30/2009 12:51 PM:
>> On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 10:34 AM, unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca> wrote:
>>> Rogers site says on their website you can exceed your monthly bandwidth
>>> limit (different costs per GB exceeded, depending upon your plan), to a
>>> maximum of $25.00.
>>> Poking about the web, it seems that at some point they significantly
>>> limit
>>> your bandwidth. I wonder if at some point they just cut you off. (Until
>>> your
>>> next monthly period begins.)
>>> Anyone have hard experience with this / costs / limits / consequences?
>> If you're concerned about bandwidth usage, the real question is: Why
>> are you still using Rogers?
> Please give me some credit.
> Had to move from Golden, er, Execulink (Bell Wholesalers) because I'm too
> far from the C.O. Having received notice of speed increases, and not getting
> them, I inquired. They didn't think I could reliably get 1.5 Mbps (which I
> was getting at the time), so they (Bell, who services the lines) reduced me
> to 512 kbps. BA BYE!

Fair enough; I didn't mean to jump to conclusions.  Have you checked
out Execulink's cable Internet offerings
Not sure if that's new, but it should theoretically work if Rogers
works (I assume they'd be using Rogers' lines).

> I'd max. out the usage surcharge limit at 12.5 GB.

Sounds like you're on Express, which is 60 + 12.5 = 72.5 GB with
overage.  If you don't mind paying a little more per month ($54.95 vs
$44.95), then Extreme might be better for you.  It's 95 + 16.7 GB =
111.7 GB with overage.  And you'd still only pay an extra $25 for the
overage (see http://bit.ly/APac).

> Anyone have personal experience with Rogers bandwidth caps / extra usage
> fees / consequences?

Afraid I don't.  We've hit gone over our Rogers cap here a couple
times, but I don't think we exceeded the extra bandwidth limit.  I've
never seen our speed drop.

What we really need is houses with tails
so we don't have to deal with the broadband monopolies.  But until
then, we just have to make due.