[kwlug-disc] Generating and using PGP keys

Adam Glauser adamglauser at gmail.com
Sat Feb 21 12:28:21 EST 2009

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 10:13 AM, Kyle Spaans <3lucid at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> The funny thing is that this should be a solved problem, since a good
>>> fraction of the world's internet users do so via Internet Cafes, not via
>>> connections to computers they trust at home.
>>
>> I'm not entirely convinced that is a solvable problem...
>
> Isn't steganography more useful in cases like this?
>
> Perhaps as a way of "signing" things you do, you can "hide" things in your
> posts/messages/etc? Though, it would also have to be easy to hide the
> fact that you're
> hiding something, I.E. in case someone is looking over your shoulder/keylogging.

A clever thought.  I'm not sure that is would be practical though - if
you're running on an untrusted machine, you can't really use software
to accomplish the hiding.  I, for one, would rather spend the though
on the content instead of how I can make the fifth letter of each
sentance spell my name (or whatever signature you choose).  If people
are unwilling to learn something like GPG, I doubt they'll be willing
to be that cunning with their language.

I suppose it would come down to whether or not one could come up with
a reasonable way of hiding something unique without having to work
overly hard.