[kwlug-disc] Generating and using PGP keys

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Thu Feb 19 20:31:33 EST 2009

Paul Nijjar wrote, On 02/19/2009 8:07 PM:

.
.
.

> And for those of us who use webmail from public computers
> exclusively, it means we don't use GPG at all.

Does Chris' note of FireGPG for Firefox help you here at all?

.
.
.

> I am also hesitant to advocate GPG for a person who connects their
> home machine directly to the Internet without a firewall in
> between.

That's pretty few and far between these days, isn't it? Windows
firewall comes turned on by default, and I thought the same of (most?)
Linux', e.g. the buntus.

Is it a reasonable argument that if you can figure out how to turn
them off, odds are you had a reason? Like, you have a router / gateway?

.
.
.
> I wish there was a good way for me to get around these barriers,
> but the best hope I have is to download my mail to a USB key, take

I thought many (?) people kept their keys on their USB key, which they
keep with them at all times. Is this not good practice / does it not
work for you?

	- which brings up a good question: what do you do when you lose your
USB key? (If I understand Chris' comments correctly, a smart thing to
do is to get your primary key, and immediately generate another key,
and you keep the intermediate on the USB. Then if you lose it, you
'cancel' that key, and re-generate from your primary. Or something
like that.)