[kwlug-disc] firewall question

Cedric Puddy cedric at thinkers.org
Tue Feb 17 19:46:42 EST 2009

For a current client, we are using OpenVPN between all the sites (UK,
France, US, Canada, Japan, China, Korea, etc.), and for all roaming
users (a couple hundred).

That being said, the OpenVPN system predates my involvement with the
company -- I've just been participating in supporting it (having been
part of deploying to about 70 users, I have to say that it was a
pleasure to work with).  I far prefer it in most respects over Cisco
VPN Client, Secure Remote, PPTP, L2TP and so on.

The user space tools lack some of the polish that you might find in
some of the hard-core commercial products (at least, for Windows and
Mac users.  It's right on par with Cisco VPN client under linux
though.), but the capabilities and performance you get in exchange are
very cool (Cisco's bias against multi-hop VPN architectures -- not an
issue.  Totally NAT Friendly -- Yes!  Super easy to monitor and debug
-- Yes.   Low VPN tunnel overhead -- Yes.)

The only thing that I don't like is that it's hard to find it embedded
in an appliance, whereas IPSEC is found in *everything* (and is a
comparative nightmare to debug, is only NAT friendly with proprietary
extensions, and has more complicated routing issues).

In my experience, even a heavy-weight general purpose Linux server
cannot touch the super-low latencies that even basic hardware-
optimized gateways (like Juniper) have.  Granted they are fast enough
at turning packets around that it's not *that* big a deal, but there
is "something" about a ultra-low latencies that give everything a
really nice snappy feeling (even if there isn't that much bandwidth).

Bottom line: If running Linux based VPN concentrators/Firewall boxes
is an option for you, then I highly recommend checking OpenVPN out.

I don't really have much to add that's not covered in the online docs
and stuff -- you just create a mini Certificate Authority to generate
certs for your end-points, sort through your particular networking
details to come up with appropriate config files (all per the various
examples and instructions that are available).

	-Cedric