[kwlug-disc] Bandwidth aggregation

Cedric Puddy cedric at thinkers.org
Thu Feb 12 00:32:19 EST 2009

On 11-Feb-09, at 11:43 AM, L.D. Paniak wrote:

> Thanks for putting the time into a detailed explanation.  I understand
> now how my simple-minded picture of the issue was lacking.
>
> Do you know how 'multi-link PPP' which appears to be available from
> the
> ISP TekSavvvy compares to a "multihomed IP space"?  Are these
> operationally the same thing?

No, they aren't.  "multi-link PPP" is a channel bonding feature.  It's
for scenarios were you have two parallel channels that you want to
load balance a single connection over.

The classic example is ISDN-U interface, which is the basic ISDN phone
line that they (planned) on delivering to people homes and such.  It
had 2 data channels ("B" channels, each 64 kbit/sec) and 1 low-speed
signalling channel (stuff like "your phone is ringing, call from
#1234567890").

You could have both channels connected to your service provider at a
time (via multi-link PPP), and you could even have it drop one of the
channels if you had incoming phone call, etc... (thanks to the
dedicated Out Of Band signalling channel).

When Andrew talks about "multihomed IP space", he is talking about
something known as "Autonomous Systems", or "AS".  In BGP4 (the
routing protocol that keeps the internet backbone working), you have
this thing called an "Autonomous System".

(I'm no BGP expert, and may get some of this slightly wrong.  Andrew
can correct me if I stray too far! :)

The Core Concept is this:
	- Each independent network is identified by a AS number. (this would
be any ISP, backbone provider, whatever that wanted to have multi-
homed address space)
	- the ASN is a 16 bit number that uniquely identifies every
independent network in the entire internet  (just recently, eg: 2007,
apparently extensions to BGP have happened that extend this to 32 bits
-- see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autonomous_system_(Internet) )
	- BGP4 is essentially all about routing large blocks of IP addresses
between different Autonomous Networks.

 From that, you can draw some conclusions about the typical set up
that a multi-homed ISP has do go through:

	1) Since the ASN was until recently a 16 bit number, that means there
was a limit of 65,535 networks.   Now that they've made it a 32 bit
number, there would approximately as many possible ASN numbers as IP
address.
	2) this address space expansion not withstanding, this has typically
been a scarce resource, and one only handed out to organizations that
pass through the appropriate hazing ritual.
	3) even if you do manage to get assigned an ASN for yourself, the
only way you could use it is by getting you hands on some routable
address space.  For an individual, this would require you to be able
to justify having a /20 block (8 class-C blocks, or 2048 IP address
assigned to just you!)
	4) then you'd need a router capable of participating in Big-Internet
BGP routing.  You can get Cisco 7200 series routers used on eBay these
days, of course....
	5) you'd need at least two big-internet type internet pipes installed
-- probably a minimum cost of $1000/mo each.

As you can see, Andrews tunnelling to a multi-homed address makes a
lot more sense than trying to build all that for ones self, in a great
many situations.

-Cedric