[kwlug-disc] so ... what's your opinion on linux anti-virus software?

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Wed Feb 4 21:17:47 EST 2009

john at netdirect.ca wrote, On 02/04/2009 5:12 PM:
> -----kwlug-disc-bounces at kwlug.org wrote: -----
>  >One thought is that although viruses may not affect your friends
>  >computer, infected files can be passed through. Although this issue
>  >affects mostly servers, maybe your friend wants to make sure there
>  >are no infected files in the system or in the media that passes
>  >through.
>
> Raul makes a good point here. This is why we use AV on Linux *servers*.

IIRC, if you want on the fly scanning, for, at least, avg and clamav
(note the c not the k) [but klamav calls clamav], you have to rebuild
your kernel removing a module (capability) so you can add one (dazuko).

A non-trivial operation if not an expert.

Have you found this to be true John / your experiences?