[kwlug-disc] Slashdot article: Microsoft Update Slips In a Firefox Extension

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Mon Feb 2 11:00:39 EST 2009

On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 10:56 AM, L.D. Paniak
<ldpaniak at fourpisolutions.com>wrote:

> Chris Bruner wrote:
> > Oksana Goertzen wrote:
> >>

> >>       Microsoft Update Slips In a Firefox Extension
> >>
> >> http://tech.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09%2F02%2F01%2F2143218&from=rss
> >> <
> http://tech.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09%2F02%2F01%2F2143218&from=rss>
> >>
> >> Is anyone else alarmed by this??!
> >>
> >> - Oksana
> > I believe the update happens when you are updating Visual Studio, and
> > probably because MS uses a web browser to access it's help info. If you
> > are developing with VS, then you need to expect MS to be "helping" you.
> >

> I think it's great.  Another example of MS alienating conscientious
> computer users.  Keep up the good work!
>
> It can only lead more people to get their 'help' from ubuntu...

It is great in other ways too. They acknowledge that even on Windows a
significant
number of people use FireFox day to day and not the default MS IE. Therefore
they
had to up with this stealth technique to allow them to upgrade Windows from
FireFox.

The monopoly and monoculture is weakening every month.
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.