[kwlug-disc] Rogers Bandwith Limit - Consequences of exceeding?

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Mon Feb 2 02:51:27 EST 2009

Bell owns the copper. Your dry loop fee is to Bell for the use of the
copper. (Thus, your copper connects to a Bell DSLAM - at which point
you become subject to their traffic shaping.) Fibre, wireless, etc.
don't use these copper lines (Rogers or Bell). Part of why fibre is so
cost prohibitive is (usually) you have to pay for them to lay their
own line into your premises.

There is a fair bit of verbiage flying about with respect to laying a
new infrastructure out there to replace copper (both Bell's and
Roger's) to the home with fibre. Unless the government ends up owning
the infrastructure, and probably even then, be prepared for the
traffic shaping verbiage to continue for the foreseeable future.

Or any other replacement, such as wireless. Someone is going to have
to own the poles, towers, satellites, or whatever.