[kwlug-disc] Rogers Bandwith Limit - Consequences of exceeding?

Andrew Kohlsmith (lists) aklists at mixdown.ca
Sun Feb 1 16:24:33 EST 2009

On January 30, 2009 06:45:19 pm john at netdirect.ca wrote:
> I can only give first hand reports on fibre. I have a friend on satellite
> (bi-dir) who finds latency too poor for SSH. I've seen wireless service
> (not Wi FI or Max) that had lots of packet loss due to collisions (It was a
> toronto market.)

I too am in a neighbourhood with poor DSL (1728/384). I won't give Rogers
Cable my money, because I don't want to be capped or throttled.

I do, however, have a HSDPA modem (Novatel Wireless x950D) - I was fortunate
enough to grab the $30/mo for 6GB service when I got the phone, and it's more
than good enough for ssh and even downloading, as when I'm in town I get
better speeds than my DSL!

So, if your requirements are low latency and not necessarily high transfer
volumes, cellular internet may be something to look in to.  My typical usage
on cellular is about 30MB/mo (email, web, twitter, google maps mostly), so
I'm nowhere near my cap, but it's very nice to have in a pinch.

That, and I grabbed an antenna and in-line amp from ebay; I should be able to
hit at least EDGE speeds damned near anywhere in Ontario if needed.

-A.