[kwlug-disc] somewhere in town to get an AT/Everex serial cable?

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Sun Feb 1 15:20:57 EST 2009

Robert P. J. Day wrote, On 02/01/2009 7:04 AM:
> On Sat, 31 Jan 2009, unsolicited wrote:
>
>> Yes I got there following the link listed in your original post. Had
>> I found either to be completely explanatory, I wouldn't have asked.
>>
>> Laptop on a stick? To what end - a more powerful embedded <thunk>?
>
>   it's an interesting toy -- when do we need excuses for more toys?
> in any event, i got the associated pico projector with it since my
> current contract involves lots of digital video and i thought it would
> be fun to have my own personal video-capable plaything.
>
>   and, finally, i've been toying with the idea of designing an intro
> course on embedded linux for a while, and this seems like an ideal
> vehicle for that.  originally, i was going to base such a course
> around an openwrt-capable router, but this board has so much more
> potential for a course.

Ah! Very nice. It will be interesting to watch this to see what 'real
world' applications come up. Particularly as there's only so much
horsepower in OpenWRT devices (as I think Lori pointed out), but has
the necessary hardware connectors, balanced against the advantage of
being a black box. (I don't need Yet Another Box to maintain, but may
be forced into it from a learning curve / flexibility point of view.)
Here, there will be more horsepower but less connectors.

I can appreciate your perspective (embedded course possibilities) and
need (not just content projecting but content repository).

If you are able to do your 5 minute demo - can you involve your
projector somehow? There were projector concerns expressed on the list
with respect to 'range', being LED's, and so on.